Thursday, March 10, 2011

Thursday At Odd Twin

     It was a rainy day at Odd Twin when Deaf Dave decided to drop in for a visit:

"Good Morning Dave!" shouted Courtney from the step-ladder. She was dusting the merchandise again, trying to get her mind off of the stalker who had been staring at her from across the street. Cleaning would certainly do the trick!
"Why doesn't anybody ever say hi to me when I come in! For cryin' out loud!" Dave put his umbrella down in a huff.
"I just said hi Dave," Courtney said.
"I'm not lookin' for a tie! I need a dress."
Courtney stopped dusting and looked up.
"Oh, heh, well, it's not for me, it's for my granddaughter. She's goin' to the prom and she wants something from the 1930's"
"Oh sure Dave, I can help you with that. What size?"
"For Christ's sake Courtney! I don't need any ties, I need a dress ya hear? A DRESS!" Dave had started to perspire under his lip.
        
       Courtney hurried to the back of the store where the finest merchandise was hung behind a red-velvet ribbon with a sign that read "please ask for assistance". These dresses were magical, she thought. They had all been worn at proms before and their magic fabric was sure to rub Dave's granddaughter the right way.
Also, the stalker was now at the front window and she thought she should make herself scarce.

"Here you are Dave...these dresses are amazing. Here's one that looks like Zelda Fitzgerald would have worn it. It's cut on the bias and has a silky pink fabric. It's a real flapper number."

"Heh?" Dave did not hear very well. He was also staring above Courtney's head at the silky bra's and slips hanging from a sailor cap. Dave had been a sailor in his day and his eyes glistened looking at the display.

The stalker had entered the store and was standing next to Dave.

"Hi Courtney" he said.
"Hi stalker man" Courtney replied in a friendly tone.
"I love you" the stalker was grinning.
"That's great." Courtney said "but I'm helping a customer right now. Do you need help with anything?"
The stalker, embarrassed, turned away and left the store in a rush knocking over Helga, the Russian mannequin. Helga's fabulous 80's skirt flew over her head exposing her plastic crotch which had been repaired with black electrical tape.
"Helga, nooooooo!" It was Dave, he ran to Helga and embraced her. He had put on one of the sailor hats from the display and was living out a twisted fantasy at the front of the store.
"So, should I wrap this for ya Dave?" Courtney asked.
"I'll take the dress Courtney, and I'll take a damn tie." Tears filled his eyes. "Courtney, is...is....is Helga for sale? It's just that, I think she's hurt and....uh..."
"Now Dave, we've been through this before. Helga is not for sale. Will that be cash or charge?"

No comments:

Post a Comment